THE PHOTOGRAPHY OF BEATRICE VON RAGUE SCHLEYER

20111215

Xenophilia I-VI

I'd like to thank Creamhotel and LMNT Gallery for enabling me to display this series at the Haired exhibition during Art Basel 2011. Had a ball.



Xenophilia I-VI
20 x 24 Chromogenic and Black and White Fiber-Based Prints
BVS 2011

STATEMENT:

Throughout the history of the human species hair has been used as a vehicle for symbolic expression.
Whether coded with religious, political, or social status, hairstyles have existed across the earth in
endless permutations. This piece showcases the transcendent beauty of human craft in the service of
communicating power via coiffure. Even ethnically transfigured, it is through the crown of hair that these
archetypes retain their majesty.

NEGATIVE SCANS:


Xenophilia I-III



Xenohilia IV-VI

No comments: